Northern Virginia is most frequently defined to include the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William and the independent cities of Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax, Manassas and Manassas Park. It is the most populated region in Virginia and the Washington metropolitan area with more than 2 million residents.
Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William counties are consistently included in lists noting the wealthiest counties in the nation with median household incomes exceeding $100,000.
Northern Virginia is the economic engine of the Commonwealth of Virginia as well as the entire Washington metropolitan area. It boasts a large, diverse business community with a highly educated workforce. In addition to business being driven by the proximity to the federal government, Northern Virginia is known for its entrepreneurial spirit and technology based companies. Currently, nearly 70% of all Internet traffic flows through Northern Virginia.
- Alexandria Economic Development Partnership
- Arlington Economic Development
- City of Fairfax Economic Development Authority
- City of Manassas Economic Development
- City of Manassas Park Economic Development
- Fairfax County Economic Development Authority
- Loudoun Economic Development
- Prince William County Economic Development
- Virginia Department of Business Assistance
- Virginia Economic Development Partnership
Quality Schools, Higher Education Institutions & Workforce
Northern Virginia has world-class public school systems as well as some of the finest private schools in the country. The public school systems offer a well-rounded education that goes beyond the basics for students in grades K-12, including gifted and talented services, comprehensive special education services, English for speakers of other languages (ESOL), Advanced Placement (AP) and Inter-national Baccalaureate (IB) programs and professional-technical studies.
Higher education plays a critical role in developing a highly skilled and competitive workforce. Northern Virginia boasts several institutions of higher learning, including George Mason University; Virginia Tech – National Capital Region; Marymount University and Northern Virginia Community College.
- Alexandria Public Schools
- Arlington Public Schools
- Fairfax County Public Schools
- Loudoun County Public Schools
- Online Colleges
- Prince William County Public Schools
- George Mason University
- Northern Virginia Community College
- Marymount University
Top-Notch Health Care
Health care in Northern Virginia is second to none. More than 5,000 physicians practice in Northern Virginia. The region is served by many fully accredited area hospitals, including Inova Health System's hospitals in Alexandria, Fairfax and Loudoun counties, HCA's hospitals in Fairfax and Loudoun counties, Sentara Healthcare and Novant Health in Prince William County and Virginia Hospital Center – Arlington in Arlington County. For a list of Northern Virginia Chamber member companies in the health care industry, click here to access our business directory.
Pioneering Transportation & Infrastructure
Northern Virginia boasts high quality transportation and infrastructure to support the leading businesses located in the area, and these critical factors continue to expand options for businesses throughout Northern Virginia. Northern Virginia’s two major airports – Reagan National Airport and Dulles International Airport – provide easy access to cities across the world.
The region is served by mass transit known as Metrorail. It has the second highest daily ridership in the nation – second to New York City – and provides excellent access across the entire Washington metropolitan area. The area is also served by a commuter rail system known as the Virginia Railway Express (VRE). The Capital Beltway and I-95 are two major highway systems in Northern Virginia. Both highways have recently been expanded to include variable toll express lanes providing a new, convenient option for motorists looking for predictable commute.
- Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
- Virginia Railway Express
- 495 ExpressLanes
- 95 ExpressLanes
- Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project
Growing Real Estate
Northern Virginia offers thriving business centers. Fairfax County is the second largest suburban office market in the United States and the largest in the Washington, D.C. area. It is also the largest office market in Virginia with more than 113 million square feet of space, ranging from single-story to high-rise buildings and everything in between.
Northern Virginia and the Washington metropolitan area offer a broad variety of homes, locations and prices. Housing is available for individuals seeking an urban, suburban, small town or country feel. High-rise apartments, condominiums, single family homes and townhouses are plentiful.
- Northern Virginia Association of Realtors
- Northern Virginia Building Industry Association
- NAIOP Northern Virginia
- Tysons Partnership
In addition to being a tourist destination to enjoy all that is offered in the nation’s capital, Northern Virginia by its own right is rich in colonial and civil war history. From Arlington National Cemetery to Mount Vernon, the home of our nation’s first president, the region provides a vast array of sites for tourists interested in our nation’s history. The region also offers a vast array of parks and recreation facilities and performing arts venues.
- Mount Vernon
- Arlington National Cemetery
- Discover Prince William & Manassas
- Visit Fairfax
- Visit Loudoun
- Celebrate Fairfax
- Fairfax County Park Authority
- Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority
- Wolf Trap for the Performing Arts
- Alexandria Chamber of Commerce
- Arlington Chamber of Commerce
- Dulles Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Reston Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Springfield Chamber of Commerce
- Greater McLean Chamber of Commerce
- Tysons Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Mount Vernon Chamber of Commerce
- Fredericksburg Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Prince William Chamber of Commerce
- Virginia Chamber
- Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Northern Virginia
- Asian American Chamber of Commerce